Wednesday, June 18, 2008

#6

A new kind of patience was born with 6. One that would prove weak without any strategies to help fortify it. 6 could ask a question like a pro. In fact, she looked at the details so much that she will either become a forensic scientist, a lawyer, or a crazy old lady asking questions of the pigeons in the park. She definitely wins the prize for Longest Time Spent Asking a Question (and gets an honorable mention for Getting the Teacher to Repeat What Has Already Been Stated, Restated, and Written Step-by-Step on the Board). This is how most conversations with 6 went by the end of the year:

6 raises hand.
Miss Corday bides as much time as possible hoping 6 will figure out the answer on her own or that someone else will as the same question more concisely.

If plan A fails: Miss Corday : Yes, 6
6 : Um... (fidget, fidget)well (looks up and takes a few deep breaths) ...I kind of have a question for you (drops her pencil)
Miss Corday: (Keeps steady eye contact in case 6 dares to reciprocate): Yes, well, your hand was up (nicest voice possible)
6 (starts fidgeting with anything that is in her hand, her fingers, her shirt etc. until accidentally knocking something over, bends down to get it, while looking up, then down, then up, then down): Um, well...I was wondering...um, well, actually I have two questions. One. Do we have to answer the journal question at the end of the assignment?
Miss Corday: Well that's why I explained what the question was, wrote all the steps on the board and then we brainstormed how to start as a class.
6: Oh yeah....well.....um.... Just making sure. And my second question is.......What does it exactly mean when it says (points at the page) 'Describe the character's actions'?
Miss Corday: What do you think it means?
6: Well, um, I guess... I mean to say...well I'm not entirely sure... maybe it might mean that I have to write down, or kind of describe, like... what the character is maybe kind of doing in the story?
Miss Corday: You got it.
6 (relieved): Okay. Just making sure.


This is not in the least bit an exaggeration and it would occur at least 3 times a day. My problem is I never really figured out a strategy to deal with it. Toward the end, sometimes I would say "6 see if you can figure this one out on your own," and she would nod and then when I would check in she usually would still have some clarifying question. Another one that I wondered about for anxiety or maybe just confidence. Once she had the confidence she usually provided the most complete and correct answers out of the class. She was definitely on the higher end academically even though the description I offered may have painted a completely different picture. I have one of her twin brothers next year, so I will be interested/more prepared if he comes in with the same mannerisms. Even though it might not seem it, I will miss her awkward exchanges and thoughtful, yet flustered, ways.

No comments: